I made this recipe for my parents when Brandon was in Iraq and we all loved it but then it got put away and forgotten about until today. It is great over pancakes, which is the only way I have ever eaten it but I'm sure it'd be delicious over ice cream too or even to eat by itself.
Apple Walnut Caramel Syrup
2 or 3 medium apples (I prefer to use three)
4 Tbsp butter
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1/3 - 1/2 cup walnut pieces (can be omitted but I don't recommend it)
1. Peel, core and thinly slice apples; set aside
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the cinnamon, cornstarch, and brown sugar all at once. Immediately add the water and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the apples and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the apples are nearly tender and the syrup is bubbly. While apples are cooking make pancakes.
Mmm! This stuff is so good. I'll have to make some soon...unless I can get this really wonderful daughter named Kayla to make it for us. Wink! wink!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I like the new layout. Of course, I liked the old layout, too.
And it will be so nice when your fence is all done...but...poor little bunnies...no more lettuce for you...whatever shall you do?!
Mean ol' Kayla puttin' up a big ol' fence that'll keep you cute little critters out...