Friday, December 12, 2008

Fancy shmancy breakfast

When I don't have to work I like to make special breakfasts that require more "love" than just a bowl of cereal or granola bars. Usually on the weekends we have omelets or my secret recipe pancakes. Actually the secret is that I add vanilla chips to the batter. It makes for delicious pancakes! Anyway, I have today off and I've been wanting to try my hand at crepes for a while so I decided to experiment and here is what I came up with (don't mind the picture, it came out a little blurry):


The crepes are kind of a pain to make because they are so thin and fragile. I think next time I might just do store bought crepes but still make the same filling and toppings. If you choose to make this recipe it makes quite a bit. I halved it and it made about 8 crepes which was more than plenty for just the two of us.

Swedish Pancakes

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3 cups whole or 2% milk (do not use skim milk)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
salad oil for frying pan or griddle (I used PAM spray and it worked just fine)

Place everything in a blender and mix thoroughly - first 1 1/2 cups milk, 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cup flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt & the other 1 1/2 cups milk; mix thoroughly then mix in the 1/4 cup melted butter.

Slowly heat a non-stick frying pan until a drop of water will sizzle and roll off. Brush pan lightly with salad oil (or spray with Pam).

Stir batter before using. Pour approximately 1/4 cup ino a frying pan - tilting pan so batter spreads around. When the surface of the pancake bubbles, turn quickly and brown the other side. Serve immediatley or keep warm while the rest of the pancakes cook.

for the filling:

I mixed together about 1/2 cup cool whip with 2/3 cup ricotta cheese and about 2 tsp sugar. This should be very slightly sweet and a little thick.

I also sliced up bananas and cooked them with a little bit of sugar on the stove.

Then I heated some frozen blueberries with some sugar on the stove.

to assemble:

Spread ricotta mixture in a line a little off-center in the crepe, place on some bananas then add a drizzle of maple syrup. Roll up then garnish with cool whip (or whipped cream) and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment