Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mandarin Salad

It is dang near impossible for me to make a yummy salad without following a recipe. Honestly, what can be that hard about making a salad? I don't understand how I can fail miserably every time that I don't use a recipe! I found the most delicious recipe for a salad in my Gooseberry Patch Blue Plate Specials cookbook. Best I have come across yet! I love all the colors in it; makes it beautiful looking! Has anyone ever had kiwi in a salad before? This was my first and let me tell you it was GOOD, although everything it was mixed with contributed to the wonderful flavor. I do think that some grated parmesan or even some crumbled feta would have been great on this too and next time I make this I will definitely try it. I have been so excited to tell you about this salad, but enough gushing here is the recipe!

Mandarin Salad

1 kiwi, sliced
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn
1/4 bunch Romaine lettuce, torn
1 c. celery, chopped
2 T. green onions, chopped
1/4 c. oil
2 T. vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
3 T. plus 1 t. sugar, divided
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 T. fresh parsley, chopped (I used dry because I did not have fresh parsley on hand and it still turned out delicious)
1/4 c. slivered almonds (I used sliced almonds)
11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
Mix together kiwi, lettuces, celery & green onion; store in large bag in refridgerator. Combine oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, pepper & parsley in an airtight jar; refridgerate. Saute almonds & remaining sugar in a skillet over medium heat until well coated; cool & break apart. To serve, place lettuce in serving bowl & top with almonds & oranges. Shake dressing well; pour over the top.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment